1. Texas Public Utility Commission Project # 43787
Project Number 43787 has been recently established to allow interested persons an opportunity to submit comments and suggestions for the Power to Choose website (www.powertochoose.org). Comments will be accepted through February 13, 2015. To review the project documents and comments filed to date, click this link Project 43787. For those living closer to Austin, there will be a public forum on Dec 19, 2014. See Notice of Public Forum for details.
2. The Texas Solar Energy Society Filed Comments
Plano Solar Advocates has a working group that is exploring the net meeting challenges in our deregulated electricity market. For details and background, see Net Metering Working Group Status.
TXSES has filed comments that Plano Solar Advocates believe are positive step forward. The three basic recommendations for website improvements in ascending order of complexity are:
A. Provide a search/filter alongside the other existing search/filters so that distributed renewable generation excess buyback type rate plans can be found and easily compared to other rate plans. This should be a very simple addition as the existing Energy Facts Label content required for every plan as defined by §25.475 - Information Disclosures to Residential and Small Commercial Customers – already includes the question “Does REP purchase excess distributed renewable generation?”.
B. As an additional enhancement to aid the comparison of excess distributed renewable generation buyback plans, it is suggested that the displayed content be enhanced to include at what rate the excess generation is purchased. Some example responses could be:
- “at same rate as the customer’s retail rate”,
- a specific rate, .e.g. “X cents/kWh, or
- some other rate with supporting information.
3. Show Support using the Power to Choose "Contact Us" form
While the process to file comments to a Texas PUC project can seem somewhat burdensome, Plano Solar Advocates is suggesting to use the "contact us" section of the Power to Choose website using these steps:
A. Navigate to the Power to Choose website at www.powertochoose.org, look to the bottom of the page and select the "contact us" item.
B. complete the form as follows:
- Reason for Contact - select "Information"
- Email Address - provide your email address
- Subject - enter "Project 43787"
- Message - suggested content - "I agree and support the filed comments by the Texas Solar Energy Society for this project.
- Complete the CAPTCHA and then submit.
Plano Solar Advocate (LH)